Problem: Find yourself skipping breakfast? Not enough time in the morning to make something to eat? Hungry?
Answer: Overnight Oats!
Well, that used to be me but here is a quick and very easy fix to that problem – make your breakfast the night before! Plus there are so many different variations you can make, that it never gets boring!
- Oatmeal – buy an instant one (I use Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats)
- Chia Seeds/Flax seeds
- (optional) Nuts
- Milk/Dairy Substitute/Yogurt – I use coconut milk
- Fruit/Berries – whatever you like!
- Extras – honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg etc!
- Use a container that has a leak-proof lid. The beauty of overnight oats is that you can bring it with you to eat on your commute or during a break at work so you’ll definitely want to use a container that won’t spill if you throw it into your bag.
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of oatmeal to your container
- Add equal parts of milk to the container (i.e if you put in 1 cup of oats then do 1 cup of milk)
- Add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of chia/flax seeds
- Add your fruits or berries – can either add this before placing it in the fridge to soak or first thing in the AM after the rest has soaked – I generally put in a handful size total of fruits/berries
- Add your sugar/sweetener
- Mix in your extras such as honey, maple syrup, sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, vanilla extract etc.
- Stir it all together and put it in the fridge overnight – recommend at least 8 hours to soak
That’s literally it! In the morning, you can either give it a stir and start eating it as is or add any extra fruits/berries/toppings that you want to be “crunchier” such as sliced nuts, yum!
Ready to eat? Get out your spoon and enjoy!