How many of you have NOMOPHOBIA??
Nomophobia (Smartphone Dependency) Diagnostic Test (quiz taken from website listed above)
Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with each statement in relation to your smartphone use. (1 = Strongly Disagree, 7 = Strongly Agree)
[Score a majority of 5 and above is an indication of nomophobia (smartphone dependency) – see full report for additional weightings/caveats]
- I would feel uncomfortable without constant access to information through my smartphone.
- I would be annoyed if I could not look information up on my smartphone when I wanted to do so.
- Being unable to get the news (e.g., happenings, weather, etc.) on my smartphone would make me nervous.
- I would be annoyed if I could not use my smartphone and/or its capabilities when I wanted to do so.
- Running out of battery in my smartphone would scare me.
- If I were to run out of credits or hit my monthly data limit, I would panic.
- If I did not have a data signal or couldn’t connect to Wi-Fi, then I would constantly check to see if I had a signal or could find a Wi-Fi network.
- If I could not use my smartphone, I would be afraid of getting stranded somewhere.
- If I could not check my smartphone for a while, I would feel a desire to check it.
- If I did not have my smartphone with me,
I would feel anxious because I could not instantly communicate with my family and/or friends.
- I would be worried because my family and/or friends could not reach me.
- I would feel nervous because I would not be able to receive text messages and calls.
- I would be anxious because I could not keep in touch with my family and/or friends.
- I would be nervous because I could not know if someone had tried to get a hold of me.
- I would feel anxious because my constant connection to my family and friends would be broken.
- I would be nervous because I would be disconnected from my online identity.
- I would be uncomfortable because I could not stay up-to-date with social media and online networks.
- I would feel awkward because I could not check my notifications for updates from my connections and online networks.
- I would feel anxious because I could not check my email messages.
- I would feel weird because I would not know what to do.
I scored 32, I guess I have nomophobia!! Although I do think that a majority of 5 is quite low to “diagnose” you with this phobia especially if there’s 20 questions and a scale of 1-7!
But I don’t really think it’s a phobia, I don’t get anxious or afraid when I’m not with my phone. It’s just that it’s so convenient – besides use as a phone to call and text, it’s my calculator, my camera, my flashlight, my newspaper, my link to family and friends via social media and especially my link to work via email. If I wasn’t with my phone, that means I have to now bring around a calculator, flashlight, newspaper, and know where computers are located to get onto WiFi to check emails – I mean that’s quite unrealistic ! So yes for cellphones!